iPhone 6 launch: why do Android users care more about Apple events than Android ones????

The numbers don’t lie: our stats show that you’re much more interested in the iPhone 6 than in any single Android device, story or event. Is Apple the firm that you love to hate?

iphone6 side crop
The iPhone 6: do Android users love to hate it? / © Apple
The iPhone 6 launch was bittersweet for me, because I like phones and I really hate U2. I never used to - I used to be a huge, huge U2 fan - but since the turn of the century I’ve found them insanely annoying. The thing is, though, that instead of just ignoring them I keep finding myself tuning in to their launches or reading their interviews for no other reason than to get really annoyed at how annoying they are. I wonder, are you the same with Apple?
We’ve been looking at our server stats, and as Shakira nearly said, the hits don’t lie. The iPhone 6 launch was more popular than the entire IFA show, let alone any single Android product launch. To put it into context, the only way the next Nexus launch can generate the kind of traffic the iPhone 6 launch did would be if Google glued a bunch of Nexuses to a naked Miley Cyrus, strapped her to a missile and fired it at Russia.
I’ve just checked and this is definitely AndroidPIT, not ApplePIT, so there can only be two explanations. Either you’re all closet Apple fans, or you’re hatewatching.

Anger is an energy

keynote apple iphone6 8
Own up. How many of you watched the Apple keynote? / © Apple
Hatewatching is a TV term, but it describes what I do with U2 and what I think many of you do with Apple events: you watch it not because you care, but because you want to get really angry and share that anger with like-minded souls. It’s a sport of sorts, a challenge to see who can build up the biggest head of steam and unleash the most acidic response.
I get it, I really do. I was glued to the U2 bit of the Apple event, unable to tear myself away from a screen that I really wanted to punch. I turned my headphones up louder so I could hear how bad the song was at higher volumes, maximised the video window so there was nothing to mitigate the sheer irritation of Bono, squirmed in my seat as Tim Cook and Bono exchanged obviously scripted quips. I hated every second of it.
It was brilliant.
Am I right? Is Apple the firm you love to hate, or is something else happening?

Post a Comment